Sunday, March 1, 2009

of good intentions......

We have been plugging away with our Human Body Project..... we've been working on bones and touched on joints (to continue next week). We have completed many mini models and booklets and had a lot of fun.
I love blogging about our successes.... you know bragging for educational purposes.... but this post is not a brag... read on.....

We made, or at least tried to make a model of the arm. The point of the model was to show how the muscles re-act when the arm is extended or bent at the elbow.

We rolled up our tubes of newspaper (3 of them).....

Then proceeded to punch (push, pull, tug and more) holes into the ends of the tubes of newspaper...

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Then there was a whole bunch if finagling .... we were supposed to attach one tube to two others with a giant paper clip (I used 22 gauge wire).. then, attach two balloons, slightly inflated, to the top of the single tube. Then, stretch the balloons just past the hinge, add a hand and voila!

Photobucket

No Voila.......

The darn balloons, inflated or not (we tried both ways) would not for the life of me stretch across the newspaper tube without bending it in half. We tried a few different ways and got frustrated so I just held on to the balloons and showed the boys what was SUPPOSED to happen and they did get the jist of it all, but phew! how hard was that?

I guess we could redo the whole thing and use stronger tubes of some sort...but do we really want to?

3 comments:

me said...

Oh Giggles, I get soooo many ideas from you!!! I LOVE the egg-speriment!!! Kiddo and I will be doing that as part of of kitchen chemistry studies this spring!

The Giggles Family said...

Just remember to give it a funky name LOL.... trust me Dragon Eggs are much more educational than "eggs in vinegar" LOL
Glad to hear you get some use out of my ramblings :) Makes it all worthwhile :)

Lisa said...

Hey! I found you through the homeschoolingboys email list. My homeschool co-op is planning a Human Body class for the lower elem. crowd and I wonder where you got all the great printables you are using! CAn you clue me in?